Saturday, December 29

IVF#4: Countdown begins.....again

I cannot beleive that another week is over, I barely have had time to breathe. Long word thing over and done with, (results to follow), long-distance Christmas, new car, sick children, 2 Shabbats, and now an impending New Years Party at my house.

Ok, so results first, eventually the Hysterosalpingograph thing was done this past Sunday night. I was so excited about the Valium, naive me thought I was so going to be in la-la land. What a total let down, whats the big deal anyway? I really don't think it did a thing, I think I should have taken two. The pharmacy couldn't sell me only one so I got a whole pack of 10, so obvious excitement about future experimentation.

Maybe I just hyped it all up, either which way a very non-zonked me walked into the x-ray room to do the hystero.............. , which I also totally hyped-up, it was so not a big deal, no pain, minor discomfort, and all very tolerable. I am such a drama-queen.

Results, confirmed that the bulbous aparition in my left hand side fallopian tube is in fact a Hydrosalpinx. Profman said that I should decide whether to either operate and remove the whole tube, or to try one more IVF . Due to my history, the possiblity of having to switch from a Laparoscopy (three tiny holes and easy recovery) to Laparotomy (one major slice and major major recovery) are very real. Also the next IVF would not be 54 days like last time, he would change from the Long Course Protocol to the Short Course Protocol, which would be injections for a few days only from day 2 of my next menstruation and then ofcourse same old anaesthetic to retrieve eggs, cook, then replace however many, and then cross fingers and everything else for 12 days. So my decision was made based on my fear of having another Laparotomy, it overrides doing 'one more' IVF.

So here we go again. Funny thing is I am back on the Pill, it is part of the Long Course Protocol, you have to start off by taking the Pill for 20 days, you get your period and then from day 2 you start injecting as normal. So back on the IVF train. Countdown begins. Fourth time lucky?

HYDROSALPINX INFORMATION


"Q: In which cases does removal of the fallopian tubes improve the outcome?
A: In recent years, impressive evidence has shown that hydrosalpinx (swollen fallopian tubes, filled with fluid) can reduce chances of implantation. It seems that the reason for this is that the fluid in the fallopian tubes contains inflammatory products that leak into the abdominal cavity and damage the embryo trying to implant itself in the endometrium. In cases of recurrent failure of IVF therapy, the condition of the fallopian tubes should always be assessed using a hysterosalpingogram and ultrasound scan. If the state of the fallopian tubes is very poorly, and might affect the implantation of the embryos, the benefit of their removal should be considered. The removal of oneor both fallopian tubes is performed by laparoscopy, where a laparoscope (a fine telescope) is inserted through an umbilical incision."