Monday, December 17

Hyster...................................graph

Had my follow-up appointment today with my Professor. We were with him for almost an hour, such a complicated case I am! After much backwards and forwards the final decision is that I am going to do a hysterosalpingograph (yes there is such a word).

"Hysterosalpingograph - x-ray with dye injected into the uterus to see if the tubes are obstructed."

This procedure is really simple and only sightly uncomfortable, it can be done to ascertain 100% if what I have in my left hand side fallopian tube is in fact a hydrosalpinx, if the results are conclusive then he will do a laparoscapy to remove the entire tube, and thereafter wait one month before I can start another IVF cycle. He does not want to do any unneccesary operation, and I SO agree. It is possible that the tubular blulbous thing that he is seeing on ultrasound is spacing between the chronic pelvic adhesions that I have. If that is all it is, which can only be concluded after this 'big word thing', then next step will be to do another IVF using a slightly different protocol. It is called 'short course protocol', this is only used on patients who do not respond accordingly to the usual 'long course protocol' medication - as was the case with me last IVF (54 DAYS!).

Best news is that I get VALIUM! I am such a drug-addict at heart, I know Mommy its' really disgusting, blah blah. I told the Professor that I really was not keen for any type of pain or discomfort in this procedure (horror-filled Pipelle memories) so he prescribed valium and some voltaren, I am going to be in such a daze. YAY!!! He can only do the 'long word' after my serious "Rivers of Babylon" calm down, so he said to call him on Wednesday evening and it is possible that he can still do it this week.

PS. Again today in the Professors waiting rooms I had to hear his secretary tell some patient that had called in, "Mazal Tov, so you are pregnant!" Whatever!

Meantime, I am enjoying my beautiful family; two wonderful special and gorgeous children who make me happy and proud every day of their lives. And my 'donor' who is a continuous loving support and strength to me.

HYDROSALPINX INFORMATION


"Q: In which cases does removal of the fallopian tubes improve the outcome?
A: In recent years, impressive evidence has shown that hydrosalpinx (swollen fallopian tubes, filled with fluid) can reduce chances of implantation. It seems that the reason for this is that the fluid in the fallopian tubes contains inflammatory products that leak into the abdominal cavity and damage the embryo trying to implant itself in the endometrium. In cases of recurrent failure of IVF therapy, the condition of the fallopian tubes should always be assessed using a hysterosalpingogram and ultrasound scan. If the state of the fallopian tubes is very poorly, and might affect the implantation of the embryos, the benefit of their removal should be considered. The removal of oneor both fallopian tubes is performed by laparoscopy, where a laparoscope (a fine telescope) is inserted through an umbilical incision."